Thursday, October 11, 2012

Nail Technique Breakthrough!

I have been massively sick this week and while I have been flat on my back I have cooked up so many ideas for blog posts and craft projects that I can't really think straight. I wanted to at least take the opportunity to share something I just tried: Fixing a broken nail with a tea bag!

I believe I originally saw this technique last year on a nail art blog I follow but I have gone back to look and cannot find the post in question. However, there are lots of tutorials around the net and on youtube for this method, I just wanted you to know, it works!

You'll need:
A tea bag (preferably containing tea you don't like. Tea is sacrosanct in my house and I never waste a bag, but in this case I had a few bags of a very sour lemon grass laying around that I knew I would not use for their intended purposes)
Nail scissors or embroidery scissors
Clear nail polish (top or basecoat - whatever you have) OR nail glue

Cut out a little "patch" from the tea bag - you can discard the tea leaves if that makes it easier. Trim to fit. I cut mine to fit across approximately 1/3 of my nail as I didn't want to mess around with a teeny tiny piece of tea bag fiber and I wanted to see if this "patch would lay flat enough to apply colored polish over (yes, it can be!).

"Wet" the affected part of the nail with a little bit of clear polish. Apply your tea bag patch and smooth down (tweezers might be helpful for this). Wait to dry and then cover with a top coat. The tea bag patch basically disappears and can easily be replaced if needed as the nail grows out, just remove with nail polish remover.

I have been trying a different shape with my nails. I have always gone for an "almond" shape as I personally find square/squoval shapes drive me insane - I am extremely particular about my nails, if I have any sort of corner, snag or hangnail it drives me to literal distraction. I  have horizontal ridges at the tips of my nails because the degree of convex...ness (sorry, is there a term for this?) is pretty pronounced, especially in my ring and pinky nails, and this causes the "corners" to flake and crack. Lately I have completely stopped filing and if you have this problem you might consider doing the same. I trim annoying corners every week or so with high quality curved nail scissors or cuticle nippers, not regular nail clippers and it helps tremendously. If you want to grow your nails nice and long remember these tips: take your Biotin supplement, don't file and STOP USING REGULAR NAIL CLIPPERS. They are okay for toenails but that's about it. Between these new developments in my nail routine and this new patch technique I hope to get my nails looking as awesome as they used to before I retired to the farm life!

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking about using this technique to reinforce all my nails if I know I want to grow them out for a certain occasion - I guess this is what silk wraps are used for? I have never really understood them but this is the first time in my life where my nails have taken a beating the couldn't cope with on their own.

    ReplyDelete