Saturday, September 22, 2012

Honey Ginger Lemon Syrup for Immunity

As promised, here is the simplest, tastiest remedy I've ever encountered for upper respiratory ailments. A pinterest search yields complicated recipes that involve heating the honey and whatever, but you and I both know that's not how I roll.

Here's what you need:
A teddy-bear sized bottle of honey (though I STRONGLY recommend buying your honey from a local for a number of reasons, the most important of which is that a lot of store-bought honey in this country is fraudulent, and in fact none of it is technically real honey because it has had pollen filtered out of it. Real, high quality honey from a local source will not only provide you with better antiseptic and immunity but it is said to impart decreased sensitivity to local allergens)
Three small lemons
One knob of  fresh ginger, peeled and chopped or slivered
A jar with a lid


Thinly slice your lemons, peels and all. The thinner the slices the better as the whole slice will become edible once its soaked in the honey for a few days. Add alternating layers of sliced lemon rounds and a teaspoon or two of your ginger until your jar is full. Now, pour your honey on top. It's not imperative that the ginger/lemon slices be entirely submerged in the honey but it does yield a better flavor if they are.

I have read that this will keep in the fridge indefinitely. By that logic, you could always add some more honey on top of the mixture if you need to. I have kept my jar in the fridge for about three weeks now and it's as good as the day I made it.

To prepare this for drinking, put a dollop (a tablespoon or so) in a mug and pour hot water over the top. Instant, tasty immune boosting tea! And you can eat or suck on the dregs which can be soothing to a sore throat. I went through 1.5 jars of this recently while I was sick and got my husband hooked on it as a night-time tea because he finds it soothing. It can also make an excellent gargle for throat infections.

Sorry I have no photos to share for this entry - the half-full bottle of the stuff in my fridge just doesn't look interesting enough to post.

2 comments: