Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Punching Perfection in the Spleen

It can be pretty tough to balance things you like with the "popularity contest" mentality that is rife in our culture. That's why I created this blog.

I'm a 27 year old medical assistant living in Northern California with my husband and menagerie of pets. I have a lot of hobbies but the more time I spend in online communities devoted to things I like, the less I enjoy actually DOING the things I like. I've experienced this phenomenon in "real life" as well - I used to be very active in my local bellydance community until one day I realized I was surrounded by people who had an agenda. It wasn't just about dancing and having fun, it was about proving that they were the best or the most beautiful or had the fanciest costume.

As a woman who has struggled with body image issues, depression and anxiety, I find the trendy to be toxic. It can be a challenge to let go of the idea of being perfect - the perfect chef, photographer, perfectly beautiful or thin - and so I want to dedicate this space to things that "normal girls" might like, without all the pressure.

2 comments:

  1. This is spot on, I'm looking forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete